When in France. Do as the French do right?
There is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of this Frenchy goodness. So easy to make and sure to impress 🙂
What you need:
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 8 onions, sliced in rings
- 100g of butter
- Very best beef stock you can find (better to make it)
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Stick of fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Some extra butter for spreading
- Emmental, gruyere or cheese of your choice
1. Melt the butter. Stir through & cook the onions. The key is to cook the onions without browning them at all.
2. When the onions have turned translucent, add the stock, wine, thyme, bay leaves & a small sprinkling of nutmeg.
3. Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, spread the bread with butter, rub with garlic & top with the cheese. Grill in the oven until the cheese has melted.
5. Serve the bread on the side or on top (my favourite!).
Onions should not go much darker than this…
The Macadame. xx