This choc-hazelnut granola is so simple to make and packed full of nutrients to keep you full for hours! Topped with vanilla bean yoghurt, sour cherries + toasted hazelnuts, it’s a delicious, wholesome, cafe quality breakfast to enjoy at home! Make ahead and save the weekday rush!
Today I wanted to share another “Weekday Breakfast” recipe. This is my series for sharing easy to make (or even better, made ahead) breakfast recipes to help you get out the door on a weekday. This recipe is especially awesome because it’s perfect for taking on summer holidays with you too.
WAIT… WHAT IN THE WORLD? It’s summer holiday time already?
When did that happen?
The older I get, the more often I find myself scratching my head asking myself, “where did the time go?”. I am becoming my mother.
But pssst. No time to dwell now. The weather is warming, summer holidays are upon us and who could be bothered to prepare elaborate breakfasts on their holidays when they could be reading trash magazines and sun baking (with sunscreen I hope!!!)? NOT ME.
This recipe can be made ahead, in bulk (you can even mix up the fillings) and will last a few weeks in an airtight bag. Just add some milk and your favourite toppings and you’re ready to hit the beach.
Granola sounds fancy (well… to me anyway) but it’s is suuuuuuuuper easy to make. You basically just mix + bake. Try not to burn and let your mixture cool to encourage clustering. It’s pretty hard to mess up really so NO EXCUSES.
Chocolate and hazelnut are one of those winning combinations everyone likes (derrr…. nutella!) and I have thrown in sour cherries and toasted coconut for to create that beautiful sweet/sour/crunchy combo. The vanilla bean yoghurt is totally optional but I like it’s creamy addition.
For anyone planning to take this on an impending summer holiday, first of all LUCKY YOU! Secondly, have fun, be safe and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tag me in your holiday pics, preferably featuring this recipe.
SIDE NOTE: I entered these photos in a styling competition run by the national Eat Drink Blog Conference – what do you think of the images? I tried a few styling options for practice. I didn’t win – but am happy with the way these images came out anyway!
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
Ingredients (makes 10 serves):
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 3 cups rolled oats (use gluten free if you’re intolerant)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao
- ½ cup flour (use gluten free if you’re intolerant)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- ½ cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup flaked or shredded coconut
- Milk (full cream, soy, almond or oat milk would work well)
- ½ cup sour cherries
- Optional: Vanilla bean yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. In the medium mixing bowl, mix the hazelnuts, rolled oats, flour, cacao, flour, cinnamon, sea salt and pepitas well.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients in the small mixing bowl until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Spread your mixture onto a pre-prepared baking tray evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir, bake for another 10 minutes. Spread the coconut flakes evenly across the granola. Bake for a final 5 minutes. Everything should be nice and browned but NOT burned – so keep eye balling it.
5. Allow your mixture to cool BEFORE stirring (this helps the granola to cluster up a bit).
6. To serve: scoop a generous bowl-full of granola and add your desired amount of your chosen milk. Top with vanilla bean yoghurt, sour cherries and extra toasted hazelnuts.
Storage: in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another “Weekday Breakfast” try my cherry + espresso baked oatmeal cups.
Or my carrot cake overnight oats.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx