This Asian slaw with sweet chilli peanut tofu is a dinner time delight! Crunchy cabbage and carrot topped with fried tofu and tossed with a sweet chilli and peanut dressing. Put together in 20 minutes and save the night-time rush!
This is a recipe I can say I made up 100% myself. As a food blogger, I am always drawing inspiration from different sources so it’s hard to claim credit for recipes when so much has gone into creating it.
This recipe however, was born out of myself trying to use leftovers in the fridge and I was absolutely smitten with how it turned out. Even the mister approved. I got a “that was delicious hun” where I expected the usual “so what’s for main?” when I try to serve a salad as dinner. The difficulty was trying to re-create it. I usually free-pour and don’t measure ingredients when I am not recipe developing but after a few tries, I got the right combination which I am sharing with you today.
When making this meal, ensure the tofu you get is fried (raw won’t be nearly as nice). If it’s not cut into bite-sized pieces already, chop it yourself and fry it again. Don’t have cabbage? You can add/substitute the salad ingredients for anything vaguely crunchy you have in your fridge, celery and broccoli would work well.
You can serve this slaw with anything you like but I love Sriracha (I put it on EVERYTHING!), sesame seeds and chopped peanuts and shallots. I hope you enjoy this “Easy Dinner” and that it helps you to sneak in a gym session or extra episode of Scandal on your weeknights.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Food processor or blender
- Food processor slicing attachment or mandolin
- Large mixing bowl
- Fry pan
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm piece ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
For the tofu:
- 200g fried tofu, chopped into bite sized pieces
- Sesame oil
For the slaw:
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 white cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 shallots, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Salted peanuts, chopped
- Shallots, chopped
1. Process all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
2. Heat up a bit of sesame oil in the fry pan. Add the fried tofu and pour over 1/4 of the dressing. Toss until well mixed through and the tofu is browned on each side. Set aside.
3. Using a food processor with a slicer attachment or mandolin, shred the cabbage and carrots. Mix the slaw ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Toss through 2/3 of the remaining dressing.
4. To serve: Divide the slaw between 4 bowls. Top with the tofu and drizzle over the remaining sauce. Top with your chosen toppings (Sriracha, sesame seeds, salted peanuts, shallots etc) and eat immediately.
Storage: in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another “Easy Dinner” recipe, try my pancetta and brussels sprouts fettuccine…
Anisa – The Macadames. xx