This maple pecan granola is filled with lots of good-for-you ingredients including oats, pumpkin seeds, nuts and coconut. Sweetened naturally and toasted to perfection, it’s going to be your new favourite way to start the day.
I’ve loved doing my “Weekday Breakfast” recipe series. There’s nothing better than getting up in the morning and not having to think about what you’re going to cook. I was so busy over November – January period with my baby Remy in the hospital, I needed as many fuss-free breakfasts to ensure I actually ate before leaving the house. I loved being able to quickly scoff a bowl as I ran out the door.
I made granola for the first time last year for a photo styling competition. It was SO easy and SO tasty, I was hooked. Link for my choc-hazelnut granola is at the end of this post. But you should definitely also try this recipe.
And what a recipe it is! What can beat the winning combination of maple, pecans and cinnamon? It’s subtly sweet, crunchy and just the right amount of spicy. I love the addition of pumpkin or sunflower seeds, it gives an added crunch, plus they’re healthy fats we all should be eating.
If you’ve never made granola before, don’t despair – it’s really simple. Don’t let it burn and let it cool before jarring to help it cluster. That’s pretty much it!
Get yourself a bowl, drown it with fresh milk and top with fresh fruit – my favourites are blueberries and shaved coconut, but it’s up to you my friend!
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
Ingredients (makes 10 serves):
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 cups rolled oats (use gluten free if you’re intolerant)
- ½ cup flour (use gluten free if you’re intolerant)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Milk (full cream, soy, almond or oat milk would work well)
- Fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. In the medium mixing bowl, mix the pecans, rolled oats, flour, flour, cinnamon, sea salt and pumpkin seeds well.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients in the small mixing bowl until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Spread your mixture onto a pre-prepared baking tray evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir, bake for another 10 minutes. Spread the shredded coconut evenly across the granola. Bake for a final 5 minutes. Everything should be nice and browned but NOT burned – so keep eye balling it.
5. Allow your mixture to cool BEFORE stirring (this helps the granola to cluster up a bit).
6. To serve: scoop a generous bowl-full of granola and add your desired amount of your chosen milk. Top with blueberries or your favourite toppings + enjoy!
Storage: in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another “Weekday Breakfast” try my cherry + espresso baked oatmeal cups.
Or my carrot cake overnight oats.
Or my choc-hazelnut granola.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx