This vegan cardamom pudding is the perfect dinner party delight or afternoon treat. Made with only 6 ingredients, it’s as simple as it is delicious. Made with creamy coconut milk and spiced with ground cardamom and cinnamon. It’s completely vegan and refined sugar free, making it a healthy treat for all dietary requirements.
As the weather is still warm, I want to sneak in as many cool(er) treats before I am deep in crumble, pie and warm pudding territory. This is a dreamy little treat, perfect for the season of falling leaves. The recipe and styling were inspired by the gorgeous healthy food blogger Vanelja. Her blog is a whimsical wonderland of alternative treat recipes and stunning photography.
Now for the recipe. I absolutely love coconut milk. It’s not only the golden ingredient in making healthy ice cream, it’s also a perfect base for vegan and refined sugar free pannacottas. I’ve made a vegan passionfruit pannacotta before and wanted to make another one using my favourite spices.
Cardamom is a spice that I grew up with. It’s in almost all Persian sweets and the mere scent of it is so nostalgic for me. It gives recipes a really oriental flavour and goes really well in desserts especially.
The best thing about this recipe, is the simplicity, using only 6 pantry-staple ingredients and less than 15 minutes prep time – it’s easy to whip up for afternoon snacks or to impress dinner guests. You can up or down the spice measurements to taste but you want the pudding to have a nice spicy kick.
If you’re not vegan, feel free to substitute the agar agar with grass-fed gelatin.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Small mixing bowl
- 2 x tea cups or pudding cups
Ingredients (makes 2):
- 1 400mL can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon agar agar powder + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Optional: cinnamon sticks
1. Mix the coconut milk, cardamom + cinnamon in the saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, dissolve the agar agar with water and when combined, add to the saucepan.
3. Cook on a low heat and bring to a boil. Simmer until the agar agar is well dissolved. When the mixture starts to thicken, take off the heat and stir through the honey + vanilla extract.
4. Allow the mixture to cool slightly then pour into your serving cups. I like to slip in a little cinnamon stick for presentation and added taste.
5. Pop into the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
Storage: in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another “Naked Treat” try my healthy chocolate zucchini muffins.
Or my chocolate coyo chia pudding.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx