This healthy flourless chocolate cake is everything a chocolate cake should be. Rich, moist, sweet and decadent. Made using olive oil and almond meal, it’s gluten free and refined sugar free.
I can’t believe I have never made a chocolate cake on the blog before. I think i’ve always been a bit intimidated about how to style a cake. There are always such amazing cakes styled on all the blogs I follow and it’s kind of embarrassing just to serve up a bland chocolate cake. I mean seriously look at this black sesame kumquat financier by the Bojon Gourmet or this strawberry thyme cake by The Cake Blog.
Although this doesn’t remotely compare, I do like how this chocolate cake turned out, and the photos are ok too. I love rose petals for styling, they give such a romantic feel don’t you think?
To make this a healthy chocolate cake, I’ve substituted traditional ingredients for healthier alternatives. I’ve used almond meal in place of flour, making it completely gluten free, perfect if you’re intolerant. You can use coconut or olive oil but I used olive and love the moist consistency it created.
The method is super simple so you really can’t mess it up, even for the most novice of bakers. I liked serving mine with a simple chocolate sauce but coconut whipped cream would work too.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Stand mixer or large mixing bowl + whisk
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- 20-23cm cake tin
- Small saucepan
Ingredients (makes 1 cake):
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil/coconut oil (I used olive)
- 1/2 cup your choice of milk (I used almond)
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate sauce:
- 4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cacao butter (can omit just replace with more coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons almond butter
1. To make the cake: Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare the cake tin with with coconut or olive oil + dust with almond meal/dessicated coconut to help preventing the cake sticking.
2. Mix the dry ingredients (almond meal, cacao, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt) in the large mixing bowl.
3. Whisk together the wet ingredients (maple syrup, olive oil, milk, eggs, vanilla extract) in the medium mixing bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined, either using the stand mixer or a whisk.
5. Pour the batter into the cake tin and pop into the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the chocolate sauce: in a saucepan melt the chocolate ingredients on a very low heat. When melted and combined, set aside to cool slightly.
8. To serve: serve a slice of chocolate cake and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce.
Storage: the cake can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another “Naked Treat” recipe, try my Persian orange and almond cake.
Or this healthy peanut butter cup cake.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx