Vanilla bean and coconut rice pudding with spiked poached pears. Creamy rice pudding infused with cinnamon and vanilla bean topped with poached pears and drizzled with red wine syrup. A refined sugar free, vegan and gluten free decadent breakfast recipe that is winter in a bowl!
As soon as the weather turned decidedly cold, I dove straight back into wintery recipe development. Breakfast and dessert are my favourite dishes to make during the cooler months. There’s something so comforting about starting your day with warm creamy goodness and finishing it with hot baked goods served with ice cream. Are you with me?
I’m currently working on a roasted three berry, mascarpone and hazelnut tartlet and hope to have that ready to share with you next week but today it’s all about this gorgeous rice pudding. I am actually quite proud of it. I got the idea from this pudding with poached plums but I adapted it to be refined sugar free, vegan and using pears instead as they are in season.
I love the way the coconut cream makes the rice pudding taste so creamy and the pears are so delicious poached in red wine, maple and orange zest. The red wine syrup finishes the dish off perfectly. A sweet and sticky addition to all the other components. When I got through the poached pears, I kept drizzling the syrup on the rice until a large batch was all but gone.
I hope you enjoy this recipe this winter, and I’d love to know what you think of it.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- Medium saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Large saucepan
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the poached pears:
- 250ml red cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Zest from 1/4 of an orange, plus extra to serve
- 1 pear, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon arrowroot starch mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water
For the rice pudding:
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk or cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup Abrorio risotto rice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- To serve: 1 whole nutmeg, freshly grated, zest from 1/4 orange
1. In the medium saucepan, bring the red wine, maple syrup and orange zest to the boil until it is simmering. Drop in the pear halves, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan with glad wrap. Allow the pears to soak up the red wine mixture for around 10 minutes. Then gently lift out the pears and add the coconut sugar and arrowroot paste to the red wine and cook on a medium heat until it’s reduced and syrupy.
2. Meanwhile, in the small saucepan, heat the the coconut milk, cinnamon and scraped vanilla pod + husk until warm. Set aside.
3. In the large saucepan, heat the coconut oil until melted. Add the rice and coat in coconut oil. Slowly add the warm coconut milk mixture one ladle at a time until the rice is almost cooked. When almost cooked, stir through the maple syrup and cook until rice is al dente. If the rice gets a bit dry, add water a few tablespoons at a time.
4. To serve: serve the rice pudding, topped with poached pears, a drizzle of red wine syrup, a grate of nutmeg and some orange zest.
Storage: pudding and poached pears will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my apple and cinnamon porridge.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx