A warm root vegetable salad, basil pesto, bush dukkah is a fresh and tasty recipe for this winter. Fresh root vegetables roasted in olive oil, served with a home made basil pesto and sprinkled with crunchy bush dukkah and parmesan. A main for two or a lovely side to any main!
Things have been crazy here as of late. I mean, that is my general state of being, the state I am most comfortable in, however it’s been even crazier than normal. Of course, being a mum is definitely time consuming but i’ve also been madly practicing my photography (and hating almost every photo I do) and trying to get back into shape after having my little one.
All in all, I haven’t had a lot of time to do much of relaxing and I really need to slow down. So today i’m sharing a really easy peasy winter dinner recipe that’s both nutritious and delicious.
It’s a simple warm root vegetable salad with home made basil pesto and a lovely bush dukkah I picked up in a boutique grocery store recently. It’s made from almonds, sesame seeds, lemon myrtle, roasted wattle seed, blood lime (wow!) and mountain pepperleaf. It just finishes off the flavours perfectly. You can use whatever root vegetables are in season or available – celeriac and potatoes would also work fine. Feel free to substitute the basil pesto for any herb you like, mint would also be lovely. This recipe can be served as a main for two, or as a side to a roast or lamb cutlets (what I did!).
I hope your July is much more relaxing than mine and I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Large mixing bowl
- 1-2 large baking trays, lined with baking paper
For the salad:
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed
- 2 parsnips, cut into wedges
- 4 beetroots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut in halves
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- To serve: bush dukkah
For the basil pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil, firmly packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare your vegetables.
2. Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour the vegetables onto the prepared tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile: make the pesto by blending all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
4. To serve: serve the vegetable salad warm, drizzled with basil pesto and sprinkled with bush dukkah.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another easy dinner recipe, try my noodle free pad thai.
Or my kale and pancetta pasta.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx