This angel hair spaghetti with broccoli, mascarpone, lemon and walnuts is a recipe that you can throw together on a weeknight but will feel like the weekend. Angel hair pasta tossed through a light creamy mascarpone and lemon sauce, topped with pan fried broccoli and toasted walnuts.
I love nothing more than a simple pasta. Although I love homemade fresh egg pasta, I also like the dried packet variety. I don’t discriminate when it comes to pasta. That, and thin and soupy pizza, are my all time favourite savoury foods. I should have been born Italian!
Today’s recipe is a simple, light and tasty pasta that can be thrown together on a weekday but will feel like the weekend. I have chosen angel hair spaghetti as I love the delicate nature of the super-fine strands and it really reminds me of restaurant dining. Please note when cooking, it cooks super fast. Like in less than 2 minutes so be careful not to overcook.
The mascarpone is a lovely creamy addition that pairs perfectly with the tang of the lemon. The pan fried broccoli adds colour and some greens to this otherwise carb-heavy dish. You could substitute it for any green, broad beans or peas could also work – just use whatever is in season. I have topped this pasta with toasted walnuts as I loved the idea from this recipe and like the variety of texture it adds.
A generous shave of parmesan and freshly cracked pepper finishes this meal off perfectly. A glass of vino blanco and belissimo!
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Large, deep frypan
- Large saucepan
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 2/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Zest (finely chopped) and juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 handful parsley, finely chopped
- Good splash of white wine
- 500g angel hair spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- To serve: olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, shaved parmesan
1. Sautée the broccoli in olive oil on a high heat until slightly browned. Set aside.
2. To make the sauce: Using the same pan, add the garlic, onion and walnuts cook until fragrant. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, mascarpone, and cook for a few minutes before removing from the heat. Stir through the thyme and parsley.
3. Cook the pasta: cook the angel hair spaghetti as per instructions (should only need 1-2 minutes). Be careful, it’s very easy to overcook. Once spaghetti is cooked, drain, reserving 1/3 cup pasta water.
5. Drizzle the pasta with a little olive oil and stir in the broccoli, sauce, pasta water and the parmesan.
6. To serve: Drizzle with a touch more olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, some freshly cracked pepper and a shaving or two of parmesan.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my chilli linguine, prawns + herbed breadcrumbs.
Or my traditional carbonara (gosh this photo is old!).