This creamy tea infused oats with maple roasted berries is the perfect way to kick off a chilly Winter morning. Creamy coconut cream porridge infused with vanilla bean and black tea and topped with maple roasted berries, pistachio cream, toasted pistachios and maple syrup – THE coziest way to start the day.
I saw this gorgeous porridge on Half Baked Harvest and knew I had to make a version for my blog and for my weekday breakfast series for Her Canberra. I’m having such fun creating and adapting easy recipes to make ahead of the week to minimise weekday prep whilst still having a delicious breakfast to start your day.
You’re going to love this recipe because it combines all the best flavours, creamy, sweet and tart. The porridge is suuuuuuuper creamy because of the coconut cream and infusing it with black tea adds that little bit extra. And once you top the porridge with sweet maple roasted berries and give it a good swirl, you’re going to be in heaven! You can top this recipe with whatever extras you like, but I used a few fresh raspberries, chopped pistachios and maple syrup.
For an even easier morning routine, you could store the porridge and berries in serve-sized jars and simply zap, top with your extras and serve. I tried this and they kept really well.
I hope you like this recipe and I look forward to hearing what you think of it.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- 1 mug
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Food processor or blender
- Optional: 5 serve size airtight jars
Ingredients (makes 5 serves):
For the creamy oats:
- 1 black tea bag + steeped in 1 cup of hot water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups full fat coconut cream
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the maple roasted berries:
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the pistachio cream:
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Fresh raspberries, chopped pistachios and maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Steep the tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. In the medium saucepan, pour the tea, add the rest of the porridge ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the oats are soft (around 30 minutes). Keep checking it and add a bit of coconut cream, almond milk or water if it starts to dry out.
2. Meanwhile, toss the berries and maple syrup in a mixing bowl and place onto the prepared baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the berries are bubbling. Set aside.
3. Blend the pistachios and coconut cream in a high speed blender until smooth. You’ll need to scrape the sides down to ensure it blends properly.
4. To serve: serve the porridge warm, top with maple roasted berries and a good drizzle of pistachio cream. Top with whatever extras you like, I used fresh raspberries, chopped pistachios and maple syrup.
Storage: porridge and roasted berries will keep in (separate) air tight containers for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another weekday breakfast recipe, try my vanilla bean and coconut rice pudding with spiked poached pears.
Or my carrot cake overnight oats.