This pistachio almond cake with lavender strawberries is a beautiful tea time treat. A tender cake made from pistachio and almond meal, sweetened with maple syrup and topped with juicy strawberries macerated in lavender sugar.
Today I have a beautiful cake from Yossey Arefi’s book, Sweeter Off The Vine. I adapted the recipe to be refined sugar and dairy free and am absolutely thrilled with the result. My mum even said it was her favourite recipe I’ve made ever. And she tries ALOT of my cooking.
You’re going to love this pistachio almond cake because it’s tender, moist and fragrant which marries well with the beautiful juicy strawberries macerated in lavender coconut sugar. The method is really straightforward by combining the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately then just combining and pouring into a baking tin to bake.
I originally made this cake and popped the strawberries on top when serving (like Yossey suggests), but one time when I was testing the recipe, I instead put the strawberries on top of the cake before baking, and I just love how they went nice and jammy while cooking so this is how the recipe ended up. I’ve made this cake 4 times and two of those times, the strawberries fell through the batter when baking, don’t worry if this happens it was actually nice to have a few mouthfuls of sticky strawberry throughout the cake.
I’ve served mine with a good dollop of mascarpone which goes perfectly as it’s the right amount of creaminess and not too sweet.
I hope you like this recipe and be sure to check out Yossey’s book for more delicious cakes and more. Have a lovely day friends. I’m have lofty plans to get stuck into this book for the afternoon.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Round cake tin
- Food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl x 2
Ingredients (makes 1 cake):
For the pistachio almond cake:
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, ground into flour
- 2 & 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the strawberries:
- 1/4 teaspoon edible lavender buds, ground
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 punnet (250g) fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or scrapings of a vanilla pod
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped pistachios, mascarpone or double cream
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray your cake tin with coconut oil. Dust with almond meal or sugar.
2. Process the lavender and sugar and in the food processor. Toss the strawberries through the lavender mixture, add the vanilla bean paste and a squeeze of lemon juice and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in the large mixing bowl, toss together your dry ingredients. I did this in the stand mixer. In the medium mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients and give a good whisk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine. Pour into your prepared baking tin and top with the macerated strawberries cut side up. Pop into the oven to bake for 45-60 minutes until a skewer or knife comes out clean then remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack for cooling.
4. To serve: serve the pistachio almond cake with chopped pistachios and a dollop of mascarpone or double cream.
Storage: cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my strawberry, rhubarb and lavender galettes.
Or my rhubarb custard tart.