This easy millet porridge with maple and pistachio is a simple winter breakfast perfect for weekdays. Creamy millet porridge kissed with cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla and topped with maple syrup, chopped roasted pistachios and shredded coconut – you can make it ahead of the week and walk out the door without a fuss.
It’s nearing the end of winter and I am so sad about it. I love the cooler months, my favourite times are when I am warm and snuggly, eating comforting food and enjoying Canberra’s beautiful sunny winter days.
Today’s recipe is for an easy millet porridge with maple and pistachio that you’re going to love. I’ve used millet flakes to cut down on cooking time, making it a 5-8 minute job from start to finish. You simply simmer the ingredients in the saucepan, adding more milk if required. The result is a comforting and creamy porridge that is ready for lashings of your chosen toppings. I like chopped pistachios, maple and shredded coconut but the options are endless.
This is a great breakfast for weekdays as you can make a batch ahead of the week and switch up the toppings for variety.
What about you? Are you excited for Spring or sad to see the cooler months end?
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Medium saucepan
Ingredients (makes 2 serves):
- 1 cup millet flakes
- 2 cups milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- To serve: chopped pistachios, shredded coconut + pure maple syrup
1. In the saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a simmer and stir frequently until thickened. Add a touch more milk if required.
2. Pour porridge into a bowl, top with chopped pistachios, shredded coconut and pure maple syrup.
Storage: porridge will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my creamy vanilla bean rice pudding.