This wild mushroom, gruyere and truffle honey pizza is the best pizza you’re ever going to have. A home made soupy base topped with wild mushrooms, gruyere, quail eggs and drizzled with truffle honey – it’s a delicate balance of flavours that you’re going to love!
I saw this beautiful pizza on Twigg Studios and knew I wanted to make something similar for here – and especially MORE because the last 2 months have been TRUFFLE SEASON in Canberra! And there is nothing better than a truffle recipes. I go mad for them! Last year I made truffle mac n cheese which was AMAZING. Honestly you have to make it – it’s one of my favourite recipes so far! Gosh the photos are old though.
So to recap… what I learned last year when I did a truffle experience day (truffle hunt, truffle tasting, cheese plate and 3 course meal – YES!) was any truffle oil sold in the shop is basically synthetic. Truffles go off so can’t be infused in oil or they’d make it rancid so if you’re having truffle oil out of season, it’s likely processed. If it’s in season though, the chef will have likely infused fresh truffle with oil, butter and cheese – and this is sublime.
So today i used fresh truffles shaved into honey to make a delicious honey truffle mixture to drizzle on top of this mushroom pizza. I also had beautiful quail eggs that I picked up at the markets so cracked a few onto the top and love how they added to the flavour.
I also made my own pizza dough…. Ok i’m lying my husband made it, i’m too impatient for making dough based recipes. But he tells me it’s really simple, he used this post and said it was really straightforward. If you don’t have the time/patience/bother, just use a good quality store bought base.
I hope you like this recipe, please let me know how you go.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- Pizza tray or stone
- Fry pan
- Stainless steel bowl
- Small saucepan
Ingredients (makes 1 pizza):
For the pizza:
- 175g ’00’ or plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fast-action dried yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 120 ml water (lukewarm)
- Extra flour to flour the pizza stone
For the toppings:
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 4-5 large oyster mushrooms, half diced and the other half sliced into thin slices or just use small ones
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- For the truffle honey: 1/4 cup warm honey and a good shaving of fresh truffle (to taste)
- Optional: 3 quail eggs
- For serving: sea salt, pepper, olive oil, shaved fresh truffle
1. To make the dough, follow the steps in this post.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare your pizza stone with a generous amount of flour and pop into the oven to get hot. Meanwhile, in the frying pan heat some oil and fry up the onion until translucent then add one of the chopped king oyster mushrooms and stir for a few minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute longer.
3. When the dough is ready, stretch into a circle and place on a floured surface. Spoon on some creme fraiche leaving a 2cm around the edge. Add the cooked mushroom garlic mixture, top with gruyere, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and transfer to your pre-heated pizza stone. You will need a flat pizza lifter, or if you don’t have one, I used a piece of cardboard which worked (just!). Pop the stone into the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Pull the pizza out, add the quail eggs and pop back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare your truffle honey by mixing a few shavings of fresh truffle and honey in the stainless steel bowl. Pop the bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water and heat on a medium heat. Allow to infuse for 10 minutes before taking off the heat. Set aside. Please note truffle has a strong flavour so you will need to do this by taste.
6. To serve: serve with a good pour of warm truffle honey and some shaved truffles.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another comforting winter recipe, try my angel hair spaghetti with broccoli, marscapone, lemon and walnuts.
For another truffle recipe, try my truffle mac n cheese.