This salad is a wonderful celebration of Spring and includes all the yummiest ingredients: butter fried leek, roasted beans, feta, almonds and a lovely maple and white balsamic vinegarette.
Recipe for a Roasted Green Bean Quinoa Salad with Butter Fried Leek, Feta and Almonds by Anisa Sabet, for The Macadames.
Butter fried leek. It’s basically the best thing ever. It’s what makes this salad super special. I honestly ate about 5 leeks worth when developing this recipe, it’s that good. On it’s own or on whatever.
Todays recipe is a tribute to the Spring. Even though I lament the end of winter, I do look forward to eating all the ice cream and even more salads. Salads can be boring unless you make the effort to add lots of complimentary ingredients and make fancy dressings. Todays recipe is the best of both. Roasted garlicky green beans tossed with quinoa, topped with butter fried leek, feta, almonds and drizzled in a maple and white balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a lovely combination of crunchy, toasty, sweet and salty.
This is a good recipe to make ahead of the week, simply make the various ingredients and toss together in the morning or at work for optimum freshness.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Medium saucepan
For the salad (serves 4 as a side, 2 as a main):
- 500g green beans
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, finely sliced
- Nob of butter
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch smokey paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of crumbly fetta
- Handful raw almonds, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Toss the beans in olive oil and garlic, season with salt and pepper and pop into your prepared baking tray and put into the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add quinoa and cook until tender. Around 15-20 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool.
3. In the fry pan fry the leek in butter until caramelised. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss together dressing ingredients and set aside.
5. To make the salad: Toss the quinoa and beans together and spoon into your serving bowl. Top with butter fried leek and pour over dressing. Top with almonds and feta.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my pink salt roasted artichoke and fennel.