Crunchy ginger spelt cookies, dotted with two types of chocolate are what make this cookies special. Perfectly crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle and positively swimming in chocolate. What’s not to like?
Recipe for Ginger and Double Chocolate Chip Spelt Cookies by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Why hello! It’s been ages since I posted a cookie, I think it was last Summer when I was baking loads of treats for the lovely nurses at NICU. Gosh that seems time a life time ago now. My daughter is getting fatter by the day, cuter too.
I was doing a clean out of my pantry a few weeks ago and found some Spelt flour I had leftover from making hot cross buns in Easter so thought i’d use what was left in a simple Spelt cookie recipe. I found working with the flour a bit harder than expected, it’s quite delicate and over-mixing can result in quite a dry cookie. I tried a few variations and settled on this one (adapted from Hummingbird High).
When making these cookies, be very careful not to overmix the dough and be sure to chill for at at least 2-3 hours. The next key to ensuring the perfect cookie, is underbaking. 8 minutes was the magic number in my oven, but start with 6 and see how you go.
You can stuff your cookie dough with anything you like, but I like the combination of white and dark chocolate (also had handfuls of each left in the pantry) but raisins, currants or chopped dates would also work.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Cookie scoop
Ingredients (makes 16 cookies):
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon bi carb soda (not baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white and dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper. Toss the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk the wet ingredients in the medium mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold softly using a spatula or knife. Be careful not to overmix, spelt flour is delicate. Gently fold through the chocolate chips. Roll the dough into a ball and pop into the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours.
3. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough to make roughly 3cm cookie mounds. Press a few chocolate chips in to the top and pop into the oven to bake for 8 minutes. They will seem underdone but will harden upon cooling.
Storage: cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Persian cardamom rice flour cookies.
Or my salted dark chocolate chip cookies (whoah old photo!!).