A stupidly easy salad that combines the delicious flavour of sumac roasted sweet potato and chickpeas with a creamy harissa yoghurt dressing. A side of spinach for good measure and you’ve got yourself an absolutely lovely Spring salad!
Recipe for a Sumac Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad with Lemon Yoghurt Dressing by Anisa Sabet, for The Macadames.
You guys I am totally in love with this marble backdrop I paid way too much for from a stone supplier. I almost didn’t get it but just knew I wanted a lovely piece of white marble to shoot fresh and bright recipes so I begrudgingly handed over a small fortune for it. I really love the darker and moodier style of photography I have worked hard to learn but shooting one style is creatively inhibiting and I also want to learn how to use different colours and backdrops as when moving to commercial work, versatility in your abilities is key.
This salad was the first shoot I did on the marble and I am thrilled with how they turned out. This recipe was a celebration of spring and it needed a lovely white backdrop to make it pop. Sorry there is a bazillion photos in this post but this is where I share my work so if I love a shoot (which is rare), I am going to post all of the photos. I hope you don’t mind.
The salad is a lovely combination of sweet and spicy, crunch and creamy. The sweet potato and chickpeas are roasted and then tossed with spinach and drizzled with a harissa yoghurt dressing and topped with toasted hazelnuts. It’s a really light but filling recipe perfect for warmer weather. I love it served slightly warm, but I also ate it cold (the next day) and it was just as nice.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Large mixing bowl x 2
- Medium mixing bowl
- Medium fry pan
For the sweet potato:
- Good lug of olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and pepper
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of cayenne
- Sea salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small dollop harissa
For the salad:
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare your baking tray. In the large bowl, mix together the olive oil, sweet potato, spices, salt and pepper. Pour onto the prepared baking tray and pop into the oven to bake for 30 minutes until browned.
2. To make the chickpeas: drain your chickpeas and pat dry. In the medium mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, spices, salt and pepper. Pour onto the prepared baking tray and pop into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until browned. You might need to toss them mid way to ensure they cook properly.
3. To make the dressing: mix all the ingredients in a jug.
4. To make the salad: in a large bowl toss the sweet potato, chickpeas and spinach and divide onto your plates. Top with roasted hazelnuts and drizzle with the dressing.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my thyme roasted pumpkin and spinach salad with shaved manchego, toasted pepitas and balsamic mustard dressing.