This spiced ice cream affogatto is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. A unique twist on a classical favourite.
Recipe for Spiced Ice Cream Affogatto by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
This recipe was inspired by an affogatto I had at Bannisters Roof Top Bar during a romantic getaway to the south coast with my husband. It was the perfect combination of spice and sweet and married perfectly with a shot of coffee.
I knew straight away that I wanted to re-create this at home and was so pleased how the first batch turned out.
The ice cream is a simple egg custard ice cream base and infused with lots of spices including cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, all spice and nutmeg. As with all custard based iced creams, patience is required when tempering the eggs to ensure they don’t curdle and again when thickening the custard. If you do curdle it (not too much), then I have been known to put the base through the blender to smooth it out before churning, although it won’t be as creamy, it works ok when you’re in a pickle (eg. friends coming over and no time to remake).
When making your affogatto, a shot of espresso works best but you can also use strong filter/french press/instant too. Just measure out 30-40mls and make sure its a hot or at least a bit warm as this helps to make the ice cream melt and go all gooey. Half the fun is trying to eat your affogatto before it turns into a milkshake (which is still totes delish).
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I’d love to know what you think of the photos.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Large saucepan
- Medium mixing bowl
- Serving jars or bowls
For the ice cream:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 & 1/4 cups pure cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
For the affogattos:
- 1 generous scoop of spiced ice cream
- 1 espresso shot
1. To make the ice cream: Heat the milk and cream in the saucepan until just simmering. Allow to temper for 10 minutes. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Slowly ladle the milk mixture over the eggs until all the milk is finished.
2. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook on a very low heat until thickened. Add the spices, vanilla and salt.
3. Cool ice cream mixture completely then pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions. I find 30-40 minutes is the perfect time for most batches. You’ll need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t over churn. It should be a frozen creamy texture but not solid.
4. Transfer to a freezer safe container and pop into the freezer to set. Leave for at least 3-5 hours but overnight is ok too. If you freeze overnight, you should get it out at least 10 minutes before you want to serve.
5. To make the affogatto: scoop a generous portion of ice cream into a cup and pour over a shot of freshly made espresso. Eat immediately.
Storage: ice cream will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a 3 weeks.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipes, try my buttermilk, black pepper and roasted strawberry ice cream.
Or my black truffle ice cream.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx