Fluffy sticky buns stuffed with home made nutella and drizzled with salted pear caramel. A sweet and sticky treat I know you’ll love.
Recipe for Homemade Nutella Scrolls With Salted Pear Caramel by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Today’s recipe is an adaption of this recipe from Gourmantine Blog except I stuffed mine with my homemade nutella instead, I left out the sage leaves from the caramel and added 1/2 a minced pear in it’s place. Can you think of anything better than sticky buns, nutella and salted pear caramel?
The scrolls are one of the first time’s I’ve made dough and just like with pastry, I’m delighted with how simple it is. I used my stand mixer with a dough hook to knead and I think they turned out perfectly.
The salted pear caramel is one iv’e made before for another recipe and love this combination so much. I first saw it on Adventures In Cooking and have incorporated into quite a few recipes since. Have you tried it before?
I hope you enjoy these buns as much as I did.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- Stand mixer
- Large bowl
- Large thick bottomed saucepan
- Small bowl
- Pastry brush
Ingredients (makes 6 scrolls):
For the nutella:
- See this post.
For the dough:
- 1 cup luke warm milk
- 7g instant yeast
- 475g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 90g butter, softened and chopped
- For the glaze: 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup with 2 tablespoons boiling water
For the salted pear caramel:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup thickened cream
- 60g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pear cored, peeled and pureed very, very smooth
1. To make the dough: Warm the milk and beat with the eggs until smooth. In the stand mixer bowl, toss to gather the dry ingredients then add the milk and mix until combined. Add the butter cube by cube until combined. Then switch the paddle attachment for the dough hook and set to knead on a low speed for 4 minutes. Roll the dough into a ball using your hands then put into a clean bowl, lightly oiled and cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for an hour. It should double in size.
2. To make the nutella: See this post.
3. To make the pear caramel: sprinkle sugar over the bottom of a large pot a medium heat, swirl and shake the pot but do not stir. Once its melted, pour in half the cream, thoroughly stirring, once it’s foaming, add the rest of the cream, butter, salt and minced pear. Leave to cook for a few minutes and take off the heat and set aside.
4. To make the scrolls: Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out the dough into a rectangle, spread a generous layer of homemade nutella, then roll the dough like you would a towel. Place into lined dish and allow to rise for another 30 minutes then pop into the oven bake for 30-45 minutes until golden. Meanwhile, make your glaze and immediately after pulling the scrolls from the oven, glaze them using a pastry brush.
5. To serve: Serve warm with a generous drizzle of salted pear caramel.
Storage: scrolls will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipes, try my hot cross bun pudding.
Or my flourless chocolate cake.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx