Fluffy buckwheat tossed with fresh juicy cherry tomatoes, smoked trout, herbs and a light dill yoghurt dressing! A lovely and easy Summer dinner!
Recipe for Buckwheat & Smoked Trout Salad With A Dill Yoghurt Dressing by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Today’s recipe is a light and easy Summer lunch or dinner that you’re going to love. I love that its warm enough to bust out all the best salad combos.
I’ve never actually cooked buckwheat before but absolutely love the soft but still crunchy texture and earthy taste. It is the perfect base for smoked trout, fresh tomatoes, herbs, and the lovely dill yoghurt dressing.
I’ve also topped it with my new favourite thing, salad granola. It’s a homemade mix of seeds and spices which you can mix up based on what’s in your cupboard. It’s a really quick way to spice up the ol’ salad and make it shine. Go nuts with combos, you really can’t go wrong. Use honey/maple for a touch of sweetness or soy in its place for Asian inspired salads.
Sorry I only got one photo as I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe so didn’t plan a full shoot around it, hope you don’t mind xx.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
What you need:
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray, lined with baking paper
- Little sauce jug
- Serving plate or bowl
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
For the salad:
- 2 cups buckwheat kernels
- 300g smoked trout, bones removed & flaked
- Handful parsley, roughly torn
- Handful dill, roughly torn
- Rind of 2 lemons
- About 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons yoghurt
- Handful dill, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Sea salt & pepper
For the salad granola:
- 1 cup of various seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia, flax, sesame, poppy)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
1. Toss the salad granola ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour over your prepared baking tray and toast for 15 minutes. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes to cluster up before breaking up.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the buckwheat and cook as per instructions (around 20 minutes should be good). Drain and run under the cold water to cool it down.
3. In a little jug, mix up the dressing ingredients and set aside.
4. To make the salad: toss the buckwheat with the smoked trout, herbs, lemon rind and tomatoes. Divide amongst bowls or in a serving bowl. Drizzle over some dressing and top with salad granola.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipes, try my roasted pumpkin salad with shaved manchego.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx