Creamy coconut black rice pudding topped with baked stone fruits, mascarpone and berries!
Recipe for Black Rice Pudding With Baked Stone Fruits and Mascarpone by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
I’ve been wanting to make black rice pudding again for a while, I first made it a few years back and fell in love with it’s colour, texture and flavour. It’s such a versatile base for any types of toppings but today is baked stone fruits, berries, mascarpone and freshly grated nutmeg.
I know it’s kinda annoying, but don’t be tempted to skip the soaking step. It’s not that hard to chuck the rice in a bowl with some water & let it soak overnight. You can of course make this recipe without soaking but it will take twice as long to cook and I’m sure you’ve heard the benefits of soaking grains before. Soaking grains not only saves on cooking time, but makes them more digestible and more easily absorbed.
I served mine black rice pudding with a side of Chemex filter coffee but you choose your poison, I think green tea would match particularly well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the pudding:
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 1/2 cup water for soaked rice, 1 1/2 cups for unsoaked rice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 Apricots or nectarines, halved and de-stoned
- Berries and/or pomegranate arils
- Toasted coconut or muesli
- Nutmeg, freshly grated
1. Put the black rice into a bowl, cover with water & leave to soak over night.
2. After draining the soaked rice and rinsing, pop into the saucepan with the water, coconut cream, sea salt and vanilla.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes. If you didn’t soak the rice, increase this to 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the stone fruit halves on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 45 minutes until browning at the edges.
5. To assemble, serve cooked coconut black rice pudding in a bowl, top with stone fruits and your desired toppings and a dollop of mascarpone. Grate over some fresh nutmeg and eat immediately.
Storage: black rice will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my creamy cardamom and rose chia pudding.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx