A moist bundt cake infused with the rich blend of black tea, dried lavender flowers, pink rose and sunflower petals.
Recipe for Milk Tea Bundt Cake by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Today’s recipe is one I developed for The Tea Nomad using their Provence blend of tea which is a rich blend of Sri Lankan and Chinese black teas mingled with dried lavender flowers, pink rose and sunflower petals. A hint of bergamot has been added to recreate that heady summer fling in the south of France. The Tea Nomad is a tea company that bring you tea blends based on their love of travel and of course, tea. Each blend is their love letter to a travel memory or dream. They curate natural ingredients that together, represent their interpretation of what embodies the essence of a place. To them, authenticity is key, hence why their teas are hand blended in small batches using organic ingredients as much as possible.
I wanted to make a fluffy bundt cake and use milk tea to infuse it with all the lovely flavours of the Provence blend. For this recipe I made my own buttermilk using the infused tea. You do this by adding lemon juice or vinegar to the milk which sours it and replicates store-bought buttermilk.
Please note the ingredients listed here are for a large bundt cake tin (as is the cooking time), so if you use a smaller tin (mine is half the size, hence I halved the ingredients).
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients (makes 1):
For the milk tea buttermilk:
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons The Tea Nomad Provence blend tea
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cake:
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons The Tea Nomad Provence blend tea
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 1 & 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large eggs
1. To make your milk tea buttermilk: heat your milk in the microwave or saucepan. Add the tea and allow to steep for 15 minutes then cool, strain and add the lemon juice. Voila! Home made milk tea buttermilk.
2. To make the cakes: Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease your bundt cake tin and sprinkle with flour.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground tea. In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale. Add in the extract and olive oil and beat until combined. Add in eggs one at a time and beat on a medium speed until fully combined. Slowly add half the flour mixture then half the buttermilk and beat on a low speed, then add the remaining flour and buttermilk and beat until just combined, be careful not to over mix.
4. Pour into your bundt cake mould, and pop into the oven to bake for one hour (40 minutes for half the batch) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.
Storage: cake will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my mini lemon & rosemary bundt cakes with mascarpone drizzle.
Or my new york baked cheesecake.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx