Rich and fragrant homemade beans topped with a buttery smoked bacon crumb, the perfect way to start any weekend!
Recipe for Homemade Beans with Smoked Bacon Crumbs by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
I’m on a bit of a brunch craze at the moment. Being that I have recently started to get up earlier, and the light disappears around 4pm, I love shooting in the early (10am for me is early) morning winter light which is soft, foggy and perfect for photos. Today’s recipe is honestly one of my favourite so far. I set out to make the best baked bean recipe but because I used canned beans, I ended up making them on the stove which is super easy and quick. You can absolutely use dried but you’ll need to bake them / cook them for at least 90 minutes to soften them (plus soak them overnight before cooking).
I have flavoured these beans with two types of paprika, dijon mustard, maple syrup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar – the combination creates a perfectly balanced sauce. The bacon crumb finishes the dish off perfectly and adds a lovely texture to the dish.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the beans:
- 3 x 400g beans (such as borlotti, haricot, navy & cannellini)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400g smoked ham hock, cut into cubes (smoked bacon is also fine)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 x 400g canned cherry or roma tomatoes
- 1 400 g tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the smoked bacon crumbs:
- 100g smoked bacon, cut into cubes
- 1 large slice white sourdough, toasted till slightly crispy
- Lemon zest
1. To make the beans: Heat oil in a large oven proof crock pot over medium-high heat, add onion and cook for a few minutes until tender, add the garlic, and cook for a few minutes more. Add ham hock, sauté until fat begins to render (2-3 minutes) then add paprikas, stir until fragrant (1 minute). Finally add the rest of the ingredients except the vinegar and parsley. Using a masher, gently press down to break open the cherry tomatoes. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper, then add beans and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir through the vinegar.
3. To make the bacon crumbs: In a fry pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Toast your bread until slightly crispy and lather generously with butter. Tear the bread into a food processor and process with a bit of lemon zest, fresh parsley, the cooked bacon, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. To serve the beans: serve a bowl of beans topped with smoked bacon crumbs & fresh parsley.
Storage: beans will keep in an airtight container int he fridge for up to a week.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another brunch recipe, try my Creamy Mushroom & Black Truffle Baked Eggs.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx