A delightfully cosy winter brunch recipe; creamy porridge topped with roasted cinnamon sugar banana, but butter and flaked almonds.
Recipe for Creamy Porridge With Roasted Cinnamon Sugar Banana by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
I don’t know why brunch has me so inspired lately, but I can’t get enough of indulgent breakfast recipes designed to be enjoyed on frosty mornings. Canberra is beyond freezing at the moment (many days starting well below zero!). Although I absolutely adore winter, it certainly makes entertaining a toddler that much harder, endless layers are required for outings and the park is a no-go until at least lunch time due to frost. I’ve set up a craft table at home, which was probably premature, seeing all she’s done is eat the crayons, paints & play dough. Ha!
Today’s recipe is for a super simple porridge topped with roasted cinnamon sugar banana. You can add any other toppings you like, but I love flaked almonds and some nut butter. I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 banana
- 3 tablespoons sugar, mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 1 & 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- To serve: flaked almonds, nut butter, maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut your bananas in half and dust with cinnamon sugar and a few nobs of butter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and pop into the oven to bake until golden (approx 20 minutes)
2. Meanwhile, mix the oats, milk, water and all spice in a medium saucepan, bring to the boil and then cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes. If the porridge is too thick, loosen with a bit more milk.
3. Stir though the maple syrup, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste. Serve warm with flaked almonds, nut butter and the roasted banana.
Storage: porridge will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Churros Waffles with Nutella Fudge Sauce (yas!).
Anisa – The Macadames. xx