Beautifully fluffy vanilla sponge cake, sandwiched with strawberry black pepper jam and mascarpone cream.
Recipe for Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberry Black Pepper Jam and Mascarpone Cream by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
I styled up today’s recipe to practice cinemagraphs and it was a MUCH harder job that I expected. The moving sparkler flecks were a bit of a b*tch to get right, and I never really perfected it, so, I will just have to make another dessert for sparklers again, poor me!
The cake is a simple (but perfect) combination of vanilla sponge cake, strawberry jam with a kick of black pepper and mascarpone cream. It look very impressive and tastes equally as good.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
For the sponge cake:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature (very important)
- 2 cups white sugar (400g)
- 2 cups self-raising flour (260g)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup full-fat milk (250ml)
- 112g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 125g mascarpone
- 300ml thickened cream
- Strawberry jam
- Black pepper
1. To make the sponge cake: Preheat oven to 175°C. In the stand mixer, beat the eggs until foamy then add the sugar until it’s thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the flour and salt and beat on a low speed until just combined.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, pop the butter and milk into the microwave and zap until melted. Pour some of the batter into the hot butter mixture to temper then pour it back into the batter, add the vanilla and fold through.
4. Pour evenly into two 20cm cake tins (greased liberally) and pop into the oven to bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the oven to 150°C and bake for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, before removing and allowing to fully cool on a wire rack.
5. To assemble the cake: In a stand mixer, beat the mascarpone and cream until it becomes thick enough to hold its shape. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix up the strawberry jam and black pepper. Assemble the cake by spreading one sponge cake with a thick layer of strawberry jam, top with the mascarpone cream and pop the other sponge on top.
Storage: sponge cake will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Chocolate & Raspberry Jam Layer Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream and Toasted Coconut.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx