A step-by-step guide on how to make THE ultimate Croque Monsieur. Shaved ham, tangy béchamel and enough gruyere to sink a ship!
Recipe for The Ultimate Croque Monsieur by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Hey friend! Before I get to this bangin recipe, I was wondering if you’ve got your copy of my FREE PRINTABLE guide on “8 Ways To Make Your Photos More Moody”? If you haven’t, and you want to get your hands on it, please please click here to sign up to receive it as soon as its live. Or click here. to join The Macadames community, as a member you’ll get access to loads of exclusive content written especially for YOU.
If you don’t like toasties, there’s something wrong with you. Right?
I recently launched #toastietuesdaybitches, where every Tuesday I bring you, my friends, toastie inspiration. Why you might be wondering? Well, I just love the heck out of a good toastie and thought it would be fun to share my obsession with you. On insta Stories, every Tuesday, you can follow along for a new toastie combo to get your taste buds going. Any day of the week, feel free to share your toastie creations using my #toastietuesdaybitches community hashtag.
Today I have an extra special toastie for you. The ultimate croque monsieur. It’s everything a toastie should be. Hint: it’s super cheesy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
Ingredients (makes 2):
For the béchamel:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 20g butter
- 20g flour
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Fresh nutmeg
- Sea salt & pepper
For the croque monsieur:
- 4 pieces white bread
- Whole egg mayo
- 100g gruyere, grated
- Handful shaved leg ham
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. To make the béchamel: In a medium saucepan, add the milk, cream, onion, garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer then take off the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Strain, set aside.
3. In the saucepan, melt the butter until golden, then add the flour and whisk until it starts to go nutty. Add the milk mixture slowly and keep whisking until well combined. Simmer on a low heat until thickened. Stir through dijon, nutmeg, sea salt & pepper.
4. To make the croque monsieur: lightly toast each piece of bread, lather both sides generously with butter. Spread one side with a thin layer of mayo, followed by a layer of béchamel, then a layer of grated gruyere. Top with shaved ham & pop the other bread slice on top. On the top of each sandwich, spread over a thin layer of béchamel and top with some more gruyere. Pop into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Eat immediately.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Lamb Sliders With Beetroot Relish, Labneh Tzatziki On Brioche Buns.
Or my Easy Sausage Rolls.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx