These rhubarb, strawberry and lavender galettes are so quick and easy to throw together, it will become your go-to for entertaining. Buttery puff pastry filled with a sticky rhubarb-strawberry-lavender mixture and served with double cream. How good does that sound?
Today’s recipe is a suuuuper easy rhubarb, strawberry and lavender galette recipe that can be thrown together in less than 15 minutes, making it a great go-to when entertaining. I’ve used packed puff pastry (I will eventually learn how to make pastry myself) and filled it with a delicious combination of rhubarb, strawberries and lavender.
The filling itself is so simple. I don’t think fruit-based desserts need to be overly complex or have a long list of ingredients. When using good produce, you can let the fruits themselves do the work. In this case of these rhubarb, strawberry and lavender galettes, the rhubarb and strawberries are chopped and tossed in a home made lavender sugar (using raw sugar) and tapioca starch. The tapioca starch thickens the fruits really nicely and works to avoid a watery galette filling. I love the extra flavour the raw sugar gives the mixture and the hint of lavender adds an extra something that you’re going to love. I suggest quartering your strawberries to ensure a more appetising and easy to eat galette.
When selecting the rhubarb, find ones that have thin stalks and look for that deep red colour, as this will add to the beautiful burgundy colour we all love about rhubarb desserts.
As for the lavender sugar, there are two ways to make this, infusing the lavender buds with the sugar for a few days or processing lavender buds with the raw sugar. I’ve gone for the latter, easier and quicker option. You simply process 1/2 cup of raw sugar with 2 teaspoons of edible lavender buds and you have a delicious lavender sugar. I am already trying to think of other ways to make use it. Thoughts?
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
What you need:
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
- Large mixing bowl
Ingredients (makes 8):
For the filling:
- 2 medium sized rhubarb stalks, sliced
- 2 punnets of strawberries, quartered (stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Juice of ½ a large lemon
- Lavender sugar: 1/2 cup raw sugar processed with 2 teaspoons of edible lavender buds
For the galettes:
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, quartered (approx 12cm x 12cm squares)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of granulated sugar (I used Demerara)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Get the puff pastry out to thaw. Make your lavender sugar by processing the raw sugar and edible lavender buds in a food processor. Set aside.
2. Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, tapioca starch, lemon juice and lavender sugar in a large mixing bowl.
3. Spoon out rhubarb strawberry mixture to the middle of each puff pastry sheet, fold edges to just cover the edge of the filling and crimp to form rounds. Brush edges with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Pop into the fridge to chill for an hour.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the tray half way through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. To serve: serve with double cream or ice cream.
Storage: galettes are best eaten immediately but will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my rhubarb and custard tart.
Or my lemon olive oil cake.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx