Fragrant sumac lamb koftas, layered with smoked eggplant, hummus, a Spring tomato salad, fresh mint and pistachio dukkah!
Recipe for Sumac Lamb Koftas With Smoked Eggplant, Hummus & Tomato by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Today’s recipe is another delicious dish developed for Australian Lamb and their Lamb Spring campaign. I took inspiration from a lamb kofta salad in the most recent Donna Hay Magazine and adapted it to create this recipe, perfect for entertaining.
This dish brings together all the best flavours of Spring and is light, fresh and perfect for balmy evenings at home. I actually took my Lamb Koftas to the first picnic of the season and it was a hit with everyone (including the kids, spare the leafy greens).
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I’d love to know what you think.
Don't forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames and #unitedwelamb when making this recipe. We love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 95.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the koftas:
- 500g lamb mince
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- Sea salt & pepper
For the salad:
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- Good lug olive oil
- 250g hummus
- 250g smoked eggplant (eggplant dip would also work)
- Few good handfuls greens (mixed lettuce leaves / baby spinach)
- 1/2 bunch mint
- Pistachio kernels / pistachio dukkah
1. To make the koftas: In a food processor, pulse the kofta ingredients. Cook in a non-stick fry pan in batches (approx 6 minutes per batch).
2. To make the salad: In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, lemon rind, molasses, olive oil and a good sprinkling of sea salt & pepper.
3. To assemble: Layer plate with hummus and smoked eggplant. Top with koftas, tomato salad, greens, mint and sprinkle with pistachio kernels and / or dukkah. Eat immediately.
Storage: koftas will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx