Super comforting and creamy potato & leek soup topped with crispy bacon and manchego cheese.
Recipe for Potato, Leek, Bacon & Manchego Soup by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Today’s recipe doesn’t really fit with the weather however we had a cold snap a few weeks ago so I whipped up this soup as a last tribute to winter. For those of my readers who are on the other side of the world, you’re going to love this now the weather has turned frosty.
I wasn’t in love with these photos but the recipe was so good, I just had to share.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think.
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the breadcrumbs:
- 1/2 french baguette stick, preferably a day or two old
- Fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
For the soup:
- 100g butter
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- Pinch salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1kg potatoes (Desiree or Pontiac potatoes work well), peeled (don’t skip this), roughly chopped
- 1L chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) white pepper
- Handful fresh thyme
- 150ml cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- Sea salt & black pepper (to taste)
- 200g streaky bacon, chopped
- Manchego cheese
- Fresh thyme
1. To make the breadcrumbs: Preheat oven to 175°C. Tear up the baguette into a large bowl, drizzle over a good amount of olive oil, and season with sea salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Rub together to help the bread soak it all up. Spread over a baking tray lined with baking paper. Pop into the oven to bake for 12 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and then fry the onion and leeks with a pinch of salt until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the potatoes, chicken stock, a good pinch of cayenne, white pepper and fresh thyme. Cook covered for 40 or so minutes until the potatoes have softened. Use a stick whizz or a blender to blend until smooth. Stir through the cream, milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Meanwhile, fry up the bacon until crispy then set aside on a piece of paper towel.
4. To serve: serve soup, topped with bacon, breadcrumbs, a good shaving of manchego cheese, fresh thyme and a grind of salt & pepper.
Storage: soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Zucchini and Corn Soup.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx