Creamy honeycomb ice cream topped with fresh coffee make this a perfect recipe for starting off any Summer evening!
Recipe for Honeycomb Affogato by Anisa Sabet for The Macadames.
Affogattos are my absolute favourite dessert in Summer. Aside from my obsession with all things ice cream and coffee, this dessert is always a light but delicious way to end a meal.
Today’s recipe is one of my favourites, using homemade sweet honeycomb ice cream which pairs with the coffee perfectly. What’s your favourite affogatto combination?
I hope you enjoy this recipe and i’d love to know what you think. P.s HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THIS COPPER BACKGROUND?
Don’t forget to hashtag #cookwiththemacadames when making my recipes. I love to see how you went and get a peek at your kitchen table.
Recipe adapted from here.
For the ice cream (makes 2L):
- 300ml double cream
- 300ml full fat milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g honeycomb (you can use chocolate covered honeycomb if you want)
For the affogatto (makes 2):
- 2 x 30ml shots of fresh espresso
1. To make the ice cream: In a heavy based saucepan, heat the milk and cream until just simmering. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, yolks and vanilla. Temper the mixture by slowly adding hot cream/milk to the bowl until the mixture is completely combined.
2. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over a low heat until the mixture has turned into custard (be careful not to do this step too quickly or the eggs will curdle). Pop into a tupperware container to cool in the fridge. Use an ice bath if you need to do this quickly.
3. In an ice cream maker, churn the cooled custard in an ice cream as per instructions. Scrape into a freezer container and fold through the honeycomb chunks. Put in the freezer until solid.
4. To make the affogatto: scoop some ice cream into your desired glass, top with fresh coffee, eat immediately.
Storage: ice cream will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Like this recipe? Yum it on Yummly.
For another similar recipe, try my Spiced Ice Cream Affogatto.
Anisa – The Macadames. xx